Covid-19 is a fatal highly contagious disease that was recently detected on human beings. ‘CO’ represents corona, ‘VI’ is for virus and ‘D’ refers to disease and lastly ’19’ represents the year it was first detected 2019. The disease is scientifically claimed to be caused by a virus which is a member of coronaviruses family. The virus is SARS-CoV-2 and closely related to other deadly viruses in the family like; MERS and SARS. The latter two are accused of causing fatal outbreaks in the past decades that have also claimed huge number of lives. Coronavirus is related to a group virus that are the cause of common cold and more complicated respiratory diseases that are termed as severe.
These diseases include; Middle East and severe acute respiratory syndrome. The todays novel corona virus(covid-19) was first detected in Wuhan a province in China 2019 December. Health practitioners ansd scientist in Wuhan China claimed that the virus was due to high consumption of sea foods n Wuhan and selling of live reptiles and bats for human consumption the report is yet to be fully verified. World Health Organization declared Covid-19 as an urgent issue worth emergent care and caution early this year on 30th January 2020.
Shortly after this the World Health Organization declared it as a pandemic since it had spread to many countries in the globe and claiming lives at a very high rate. Common cold can also spread at a global rate but its rate of mortality is marginal since people have already developed an immune to it. The vice versa of this is true about the highly contagious Covid -19 disease. It has a high rate of mortality since human immune system is being attacked for the first time and this feels like an ambush.
TRANSMISSION MODES OF THE NOVEL COVID -19
Like the already experienced pandemics in the world Covid-19 is no exceptional. It ha scaused a huge blow to the lives of peole and multiple deaths all over the world.
- Covid -19 basically transmitted through body fluids like saliva droplets, nose discharge, or air exhalation from an infected person. Since the body fluids are heavy they to be afloat on air, they land on the surfaces like, doors, on cars, on the floor. Explicitly you become infected if you less than a metre close to an infected individual since you will inhale virus from the air he exhales.
- Another explicit way is through touching your mouth, eyes and nose having touched virus contaminated surfaces.
- Throguh scientific probing the scientists are strongly against consumption animal products that are raw and not thoroughlyu cooked. A cautious handling of animal products is highly advised since the coronavirus can abide in cattles, camels, bats, and cats according to national commission of Health in China.
PRECAUTIONS, AND PREVENTION MEASURES OF COVID-19
There is a big emphasize by governments all over the world to precautioning and prevention of Covid-19 since most infected people have mild symptoms and the disdease is highly contagious from asymptomatic infects. Precaution and prevention measures against Covid-19 include:
- One is advised to constantly have a three layer face mask in public places. That is in, public transportation, public streets, at the work stations, in the malls etc.
- If possible and where possible be over a meter apart from the next person always.
- Public intense awareness sensitizing why it is vital to follow the well-known respiratory ettiquttes
- One should not touch the mouth ,eyes and nose with bare hands. Use disposable tissue if have to touch.
- Procedural and thorough washing of hands now and then.
- Maintaining a constant hygiene on working surfaces and places. Constant disinfect and fumigation of the building and surfaces.
- Use of hand saniterzer to disinfect hands.
The virus that causes COVID-19 is mainly transmitted through droplets generated when an infected person coughs, sneezes, or exhales. These droplets are too heavy to hang in the air, and quickly fall on floors or surfaces.
You can be infected by breathing in the virus if you are within close proximity of someone who has COVID-19, or by touching a contaminated surface and then your eyes, nose or mouth.
People of all ages can be infected by the new coronavirus (2019-nCoV). Older people, and people with pre-existing medical conditions (such as asthma, diabetes, heart disease) appear to be more vulnerable to becoming severely ill with the virus.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF COVID -19
COVID-19 affects different people in different ways. Most infected people will develop mild to moderate illness and recover without hospitalization.
Most common symptoms: